Delivering drugs only where needed? Nanoparticles!
Drugs that are administered orally or by injection, invariably lead to systemic effects. This mode of administration is suboptimal if the biological target of the drug is concentrated in a particular tissue or location in the body, such as in the lungs at the critical stages of Covid-19. To minimize systemic effects in cases where they are undesirable, nanoparticles present common advantages and unique challenges. NovochizolTM retains these common advantages, overcomes all challenges and presents unique additional properties.
From chitosan to NovochizolTM
Chitosan is a derivative of chitin, the most abundant polysaccharide on earth, after cellulose. It has been studied for over 100 years, with a plethora of approved and investigational applications in pharmaceutical and medical applications. It does however present severs limitations for drug forlmulation. NovochizolTM nanoparticles overcome theses limitations and display unique properties as follows:
|Solubility at physiological pH||no||yes (nanosuspension)|
|Viscosity||high||low (injectables and aerosols)|
|Physico-chemical properties||Modifiable only through chemical reactions with other compounds.||Modifiable without chemical reactions with other compounds|
NovochizolTM drug formulations – unique properties:
- Localized Pharmacokinetics: Novochizol adheres to tissues at site of application (lung epithelia)
- Versatile formulations: oral, topical, injectable, inhalable
- Sustained release: over extended periods of time
- Versatility: Any API – small molecule or biologic – may be encapsulated
- Easy manufacturing: We can formulate an aerosol formulation ready for use in 72 hours or less.
- Intracellular delivery: endocytosis and enhanced endosomal escape